Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Thing 9: More Facebook

More Facebook. For this "thing" I needed to join three groups. Well I'm cheating slightly because I've already join a few groups, but they are library related! :)

1. The London Library Staff Alumni (because I used to work at this fabulous library in London and I miss it so) The London Library

2. NextGen Librarians--I actually joined this because 23 Things and a blog I read, plus I know one of the admins, she's a fantastic librarian!

3. Stephen Fry Friendship by Proxy Group--because I sincerely adore Stephen Fry and he is such an advocate for libraries and is all around Awesome! And whenever I think about Stephen I have to watch my favorite QI clip (his tv show Quite Interesting).

I also am a fan of my library: University of Houston Libraries. As I mentioned in my earlier post about Facebook I'm not one for joining alumni groups, especially High School, there's a reason you move away from high school. The friends I have from HS days are the ones I want to keep. I've also discovered the Facebook can create quite a lot of bad feeling amongst "friends." Example: A friend of mine shares other mutual friends and has been reading their posts about getting together for lunch but they never include her. Result: feelings hurt.

Now I don't want to be completely negative about Facebook because I do think there is potential to reach out to library users, provide reference though social networks and market library services and events.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you don't mind that I'm 'copying' you -- I've joined the NextGen Libs, too. I first joined the group for my High School, begrudgingly, because I _had_ to join three.

    Thanks for saving me! lol

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime! That three-group was a killer and I cheated a bit using 2 groups I joined previously, but I thought the NextGen Librarian group looked interesting!

    ReplyDelete