Thursday, June 4, 2009

Thing 10: Ning

After watching the tutorial and browsing on Ning I was really excited about the possibilities of creating your own social network and creating profiles for each network. The flexibility and customization options are so cool and I thought 'this could kick Facebook/Myspace butt', oh but then I read the blog post about Ning and the information it is using to directly market members. There's a more recent blog post "Ning to Clients" from the same site 23 Things sent us that reveals even more devious actions by Ning. I'm less impressed.

But I'm going to go back to my initial optimism and muse on the networks I discovered. On the ALA network page I found a colleague of mine and was able to find her blog as well. I shifted over the Texas SLA network, not a lot of activity and browsed through Lone Arrangers a network for solo archivists. They have a really creative page I like their group "Archivists Adoring Austen" which led me to search "jane austen" and I found this odd network: "Liberty Jane Studios" which is dedicated to people who love creating/buying trendy clothes for an American Girl Doll: Liberty Jane. Wow, that is very specific. I don't know who Liberty Jane is but there is a lot of activity on this network. Huh.

No comments:

Post a Comment